BRINJAL / EGGPLANT ACHAR/PICKLE
- 1.5kg eggplants (brinjal)
- 5 inch ginger
- 3 large or 6 small pods garlic cloves
- 5 ounces chili powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons black mustard seeds, powdered
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fenugreek seeds, roasted and powdered
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds, roasted and powdered
- 3⁄4 cup salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups mustard oil (Indian grocery store) or 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tamarind pulp or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- curry leaf, from Indian grocery store (optional)
- 1 1⁄4cups vinegar
- Julianne or dice small brinjal-eggplant.
- Layer brinjal with salt alternately. Let stand 4-5 hours till water separates from vegetable.
- Squeeze in handfuls brinjal till water is removed. Keep in separate bowl.
- Grind ginger and garlic in some of the vinegar to paste.
- Heat oil till smoke starts rising. Fry brinjals two hand fulls at a time. Drain with slotted spoon and set aside. Wait for water to evaporate from oil, till the bubbles stop before frying another lot of brinjal.
- Add and fry garlic and ginger paste for 5 minutes.
- Add dry spices, fry 2 minutes.
- Add vinegar and tamarind, mix well for 1 minute.
- Add curry leaves and sugar, mix well.
- Add brinjal mix well and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Cool and bottle.